July 20, 2009

Frustration and satisfaction - May, 09

I'm about to head back to the Dordogne at last. The most difficult aspect of the RD project is that I have to come and go between Australia and France. Until I can get a French business visa I am unable to stay in France longer than six months and as I don't have an EU passport I can't work in France. So I have to return to Australia to earn a living and fly to France when possible, work on RD as much as I can before returning to my responsibilities back in Australia. It's a tough juggling act but I think I'm finally getting the right balance. It means being highly organised with the limited time I have in each country.

The good news is I've stumbled across two keen and willing radio tech heads at the Uni of Lincoln who are more than happy to help set up RD in exchange for accommodation in my newly acquired stone cottage. The generosity, kindness and adventurous spirit of some people never ceases to impress me. This means getting the satellite receiver, computers and networked material in place to allow the station to stream via the internet. I have a sneaking feeling it's not going to be as easy as it sounds.

It's interesting; generally I've found radio people around the world share a passion that surpasses any cultural or linguistic barrier, and when you need a hand someone extends theirs. Sweet.

No comments: